Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pour Myself a Cup of Ambition

So I had this conversation through Facebook chat with one of my best friends a week or so ago and she brought up a good point:

"I think the weirdest thing about being in the real world is that for four years and your whole life for that matter you are told "GO follow your dreams" blah blah blah but nobody tells you that even when you follow your dreams there are bad days at work and it may not always be what u thought it'd be, ya know? Just weird."

Often times, we build up a situation or a choice in our minds and place unrealistic expectations onto it that can sometimes be so disappointing. I've gone through this quite a number of times in my short 24 (almost 25) years of existence. Sometimes you want something to work so much, but it's not in the cards.  I wanted to be an actress for most of my life. I acted in high school, took summer workshops, performed in some shows in college, and was ready to hit the road and bounce from company to company and perform as much as possible. But I realized something after we closed Urinetown my Junior year, "I freaking hate theatre." Don't get me wrong, I've done tons of stuff with local theaters and have had a great time, but I suddenly realized that I no longer wanted to live "an actor's life." I didn't want to bounce around. I wanted to settle down. [A lot of this had to do with a boy, but that's another blog post.] So, I started teaching after graduation. I didn't like that either and ended up going back to school and becoming a therapist.

My point: There is no "life manual." How many times have you set your mind to do something or "be" something and it didn't have all the bells and whistles you thought it would? Sometimes we realize that maybe we didn't make the right choice; maybe it's time to choose a new career or a new partner.

But what if you just had a bad day? When you have a bad day at your dream job, what do you do about it? We all have bad days; no matter what. Just remember to find the joy in what you're doing. Find what moves you. Remember that even though today may suck, it's still the place that you'd rather be.

That can extend to any aspect of your life: relationships, religion, etc. If it's worth it (and it usually is), remind yourself what brought you to that decision in the first place. Always fight for what you love. (Unless it's harming you or someone else. Okay, that's the counselor in me talking.)

And if that doesn't work? When one door closes...another one opens.

Just keep swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment