Saturday, February 19, 2011

Leave Your Things Behind 'Cause It's All Going Off Without You

I've been thinking a lot about resentment(s). We've been talking about it a lot with our clients. Most resentments are fueled by anger that has not been unleashed, forgotten, etc. It's amazing what people will hold onto, keep a grudge over. Resentments lead to relapse. Anger leads to unhappiness. This led me to think about past relationships (romantic and platonic) that I've had that still cause me to be angry from time to time.

So what does it mean when you are extremely happy in your life, but things, people, or situations from the past just seem to still piss you off? Does this mean that you actually care what that person thinks of you? Or that you care what those people at school said? It doesn't have to be limited to relationships. It can be a job, a church, an organization, whatever.

I decided to play a little game of Russian Roulette with my BlackBerry and called some people to see if I had "let go" of anything. Usually, I would get angry just dialing the number. I would be flooded with emotion about all the arguments, lies, knowing that person was still lying after all this time, etc.

I've been really trying to work at an honest program lately and decided to Let Go and Let God about this situation and give all of my anger to my Higher Power. I was sick of trying to be in control. I know better than that! Sick of feeling negative. Sick of relishing in the anger of the past and not reveling in the pleasantries of the present. 

So when I picked up the phone, this time was different. It was like magic...
  
I suddenly didn't care. I was so comfortable with myself that I didn't care about everything that had transpired in the past. I finally stopped being angry and made the conscious decision to always live in the present. I didn't care about that two years of my life. I didn't care about what had happened in the past. What was I even mad about? I just wanted to look forward, always.

Letting go ends up being the best decision you can make. Letting go of negativity, anger, denial, etc. It brings so much clarity. Don't hold onto things that hurt you. Don't hold a grudge because you think it will make that other person change. It never does and it never matters anyway. If you're always worrying about the future or focusing too much about what happened in the past, you're not living up to your full potential TODAY.

The point: just let go.

xoxox

3 comments: